At about 9:00PM last night I was inspired. This is what I came up with. Of course, I was up most of the night. This is a denim button up shirt that I have had for a while and I wanted to alter it. The gathered skirt of this dress is some fabric that I colored some time back. I liked the fabric but I could never decide what to do with it. Then it hit me! There was a lot of stitching involved. I do mean a lot. Since I became so bleary-eyed I was pleased that it was all straight stitching. This dress is “dropped waist” because the denim shirt is quite long even on me. I cut the fabric for the skirt 36 inches long. Before I hemmed it, it was dragging the floor. I turned up 6.5 inches. This does make for a nice weighted hem.
I cut the narrow hem of the denim shirt off, cutting close to the stitching of the hem. Then I sewed the two front pieces of the shirt together below the bottom button. Using quilter’s ruler and rotary cutter I squared the skirt fabric. Then I stitched the two pieces of the skirt together (front and back) and ran a gathering stitch. Next cam pinning the gathered skirt to the shirt. This was the most tedious part of the project. When I finished sewing the skirt part to the denim shirt I tried it on. I really like it. Like I have stated, the bottom of the skirt dragged on the floor. I turned up 6.5 inches and sewed the hem.
This evening I am going to try to get my husband to take a photo for me so that you can see how it looks on a real person. Wish me luck!
My husband came home from work and was a doll and took these photos for me. I even keep the shirttail hem on this denim shirt.
Here is the other side. My husband really like this creation. This dress is definitely loose-fitting and comfortable. It would be more ideal if I could alter the denim shirt more but I need it to remain loose-fitting.