Here is the Burda jacket . I finished it and I love it, if you can love a piece of clothing. The cut is spot on. I used a heavier fabric that I believe is a home décor fabric. I am not sure because it was a fabric remnant that I had purchased. It is like a denim fabric with a raised embroidery design. The sleeves are 3/4 length. Well, on me they are 3/4 length. I did not want a seam down the center back of the garment so I cut the back panel on the fold and put a pleat/tuck of 5/8 inch to the center back so that the collar width would match perfectly which it did.
The collar was attached only at the neck opening. The edges of the collar were joined together by the bias binding. The bias binding is home décor fabric that I made and I had more than 6 yards of it to use. I used 5 yards, 15 feet of it. I did not waste any either. I do suppose that I would with this being a loose-fitting jacket.
As you can see in this photo, I did not run the bias binding in a continuous strip around the jacket. The binding was just too bulky and I didn’t want that look because that is what everyone else does. I thought of butt joints used in construction so that is what I attempted to achieve with the binding. I must confess that it is not as perfect as I would want it but I have not attempted butt joints with binding before. I am satisfied with the end result though. I plan to wear this jacket with pride.
In the pattern, the pockets have a cuff at the top. Well, not being normal, I did not want that either so I excluded the cuff and just made very deep pockets. I am more than pleased with that feature.
I did finish the edges of the seams because this fabric was unraveling like crazy. That was quite a bit of extra sewing but worth it. I will definitely do that again. I feel as though it gives a more finished look. I would highly recommend this jacket for anyone to make. It is great!