Upon a request from one of the people who follow my blog I am going to share with you how I went about making these trousers/pants from the outfit that I made to wear to a wedding.
This is the pattern that I used.
The fabric that I used it a cotton/linen blend that is white to start with. After I have finished the garment, I will dye it. In this blog post I am going to talk about the fit that I need to achieve with this garment and how I altered the pattern.
This is how my altered pants pattern looks post addition of tissue paper. I will go into a short bit of detail.
In this photo I am showing how I lengthened the body/crotch of the pattern by 2 inches. One of the most important parts of lengthening or shortening a printed pattern is to keep the ‘grain line’ arrow lined up. I have found that out by experience.
In this photo I had to alter the bottom of the curve of the crotch. I really had no clue as to how to do this properly. I just ‘winged’ it based on experience and a heartfelt prayer.
In this photo I am lengthening the pant legs by 2 inches. I lengthened the body/crotch by 2 inches. That is 4 inches total. I am making these pants to end above the ankle. I don’t have enough tissue paper to make these pants end at the top of the foot.
I have fitted this pattern to myself as best that I could in front of the mirror. I decided to add a bit to the outside of the pants because I do need to have a loose fit. I added approx. 1 inch to the outside of the front and back pant lets. I used a carpenter’s square to do this.
Here is the front pattern piece all altered and pinned to the fabric, ready to cut out.
In this photo I am trying to point out that I transferred to notches to the extended part on the outside of the pants. When I am cutting out a pattern piece and notches are indicated I simply cut a small slit in the center of the notch. I started doing this when I made a garment from a Burda pattern. That company uses slits and I think that it is easier than the wedges/triangles.
The only other thing that I have to do is cut out the back pattern piece. I opted not to put pockets on these pants because I did not want to add bulk.
I have already made this pair of pants/trousers that is in my precious posting. In this photo my husband is taking the photos since I am wearing the pants. Please be kind about the these photos. He tries the best that he can.
In my next blog post I will be showing the construction of the different parts of the pattern pieces to make simple elastic wasted pants/trousers. I am hopeful that I will be publishing that post tomorrow.