I have finally finished this tunic. I finished it a little while ago and have made some garments since then that I am also going to share with you. I have not had a chance to write a blog post about it because ……. well, you know how life happens. In the last blog post I had just about finished the tunic. I did encounter some problems with it though. The arms of the pattern were just too skinny for me. I fitted the pattern to myself as best as I could but I failed in assuring that the arms would fit. This is where a muslin would be a smart action to take. I could not dwell on that fact. I had this beautiful garment that I was making form some great fabric and the arms didn’t fit. I saw this as tragic. I thought about this dilemma for days trying to think of all options. Of course I tried to be constructive during my indecision. I ripped the side seams out. The sleeves are not set in. I had scraps of fabric from cutting the pattern out and I tried several different options for making the sleeves fit. I did not like any of them. Finally, I decided that I simply had to sew in pieces to the bottom of the sleeve to make it a bit bigger.
Doing this took me quite a long time. My seam ripper and I really got to know each other well.
I did finally finish the tunic. I convinced my mother to take some pictures for me.
You can’t see the fabric that I sewed into to make the arm openings larger because I inserted them at the bottom of the sleeve portion.
I like this tunic so much that I decided that I need a pair of black leggings to go with them. My mother and I sell patterns online and I searched through the stash of patterns for our shop and I found one for leggings.
This is the pattern that I used. We do not have this same pattern in our shop but there are ones like it. I cut the leggings on the largest size. As usual I had to lengthen the leg length. I am too old to wear tight leggings so I changed the shape of the legs making them more straight and not contoured/shaped around the knees. More of a straight, tapered leg.
I also made another outfit. In the following my husband took the photos. Please don’t hold that against me.
That is my cat, Michelin.
The top is cotton broadcloth. I was deciding which needle to use on the bronze cloth for the top and size 11 seemed to be just right. I would normally use a larger size but I gave it a try anyway. Was I surprised! The size 11 was just PERFECT! Look at the stitching on this tunic top.
Normally I would have used a size 12. I may be using needles too large for my sewing projects. I started sewing on the pants/trousers using the same size 11 needle. The fabric for the pants is heavier than the tunic fabric. The size 11 worked like a DREAM! At one point this needle was going through 8 layers of the fabric. Maybe I have been using needles too big for my projects.
I have already started on my next project. Here it is.
I am making the dress and caplet in the largest view. The fabric is the olive-green French terry knit behind the pattern. The pattern pieces are already lengthened and cut out. I AM looking forward to this.